Sunday, August 28, 2011

Red Rooster


Red Rooster, originally uploaded by Red Fox..


Prior to this hurricane business I had a pre-hurricane dinner at Red Rooster in Harlem.  Mmmmmmmmm that corn bread is tasty.  
Before summer began they added outside seating to their establishment at Red Rooster which they really had to do, with Sylvia's right next door and all (and Sylvia's has outdoor seating).  As a new restaurant Red Rooster is doing exceptionally well.  The food is good, the ambiance pleasant, and a very eclectic crowd.  Now when I say the food is good let me elaborate.  Lets first say Marcus Samuelsson, the celebrity chef behind Red Rooster, clearly has quite the resume.  I mean he has had the training, has been a guest chef at the White House, and has judged various cooking shows such as Top Chef and Iron Chef.  I have no doubts or arguments with his vision of Red Rooster, I actually think he has a great vision for his restaurant and the convergence of food and community. I just think that at times the dishes at Red Rooster are over seasoned.  For example I had a gazpacho a few months back that was very tasty but the dish was too large and half way through I was overwhelmed by the flavor.  It would have best been served in a smaller portion.  I also had the Red Caesar salad with a smoked vinaigrette, but the vinaigrette had far too much smoke.  Not to mention to much dressing overall.  But the corn bread is spot on.  It's amazing.  And the Red Rooster is worth a visit.  I think there is just some fine tuning to the recipes that needs to be done and the problem will be solved. 

No comments: